me in

30

words

·iPhone ·teacher ·learner ·life ·non-fat no-whip mocha ·travel ·canadian ·early mornings ·family ·friends ·easy going ·organization ·adventures ·dreams ·bootcamp ·sun ·rain ·aspirations ·technology ·geocaching ·naps ·happiness ·sweet tooth

February 03, 2013

Celebrating the “Chill”

Take52 Challenge – Week 4


This post is only coming a week late! The photograph was taken within the actual assigned week.  The past couple of weeks have been chaotic and stressful to say the least.  Last week was preparing for provincial exams, and this week was invigilating the exams and a full day of staff meetings.  This was the first time that I had nightmares about writing provincial exams.  My students’ stress and worries were getting to me so much, that I had sympathy nightmares to share the experience with them.  Once again, by the time my nights at school were over, I had no energy to put into posting on my blog.  Something I’ll need to work on.

The mention of “chill” instantly brought me to chills.  Not out of fear, but now realizing that the exam prep and nightmares sent chills throughout my body, that I could’ve used that as a jumping point.  It brought me to chills because I was already there.  My house was chilly, and I was freezing cold.

Okay, I live in Vancouver, BC, and compared to many of you with your well below freezing temps with wind-chill to boot, I’m in warm weather.  But to us Vancouverites it’s been chilly.  The cold dampness is hard to rid yourself of.  Especially when you live in a house as old as mine.  After standing strong for 50+ years this house has lost much of its insulation and can be quite drafty.  Below our main floor we have a dirt basement, with no insulation remaining what-so-ever.  This time of year you always want to have socks or slippers on, otherwise you might as well be walking around outside with bare feet.  All of our windows are single-paned, are no longer sealed properly, and are drafty.  For a number of years now, we’ve installed the plastic draft barriers on our windows.  This helps quite a bit.  Although our cats like to rip the sealed windows and we have to repair them on a monthly basis. 

Please don’t get me wrong, I love my house (on most days), and I love where I live!  This time of year it’s just a bit cold.

So…this is where I received my idea for this week’s photo challenge.  Quite often you’ll find our boyz sleeping in their bed that’s placed right beside one of our space heaters.  We started putting their bed in front, since it seems to keep Sam from sleeping right up against it.  Jeremy and I often say that Sam is “sunbathing”.

This is Sam annoyed with me that I am interrupting his restful catnap while trying to keep warm.


Aperture Priority; ISO 3200; Shutter 1/200; Aperture f4.5; Focal Length 42mm; ev 0; WB Auto; Flash Fill


There was one other idea I had.  Something simple, something reminiscent from my childhood.  I don’t know why but somehow this week I started singing the theme song to The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air staring Will Smith. 

Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool
And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys, they were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
And said “you’re moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air
- "The Fresh Prince" by Will Smith as The Fresh Prince

It took some timing, trying to get in front of the television when the show was actually on.  But I got it, since I don’t have the ability to pause my television the frames were flashing by quickly.  This is the one that appeared the sharpest.



Aperture Priority; ISO 3200; Shutter 1/40; Aperture f14; Focal Length 35mm; ev 0; WB Auto

Here’s to “chilling.”

As always I welcome any thoughtful critiques.

No comments:

Post a Comment