me in

30

words

·iPhone ·teacher ·learner ·life ·non-fat no-whip mocha ·travel ·canadian ·early mornings ·family ·friends ·easy going ·organization ·adventures ·dreams ·bootcamp ·sun ·rain ·aspirations ·technology ·geocaching ·naps ·happiness ·sweet tooth

February 22, 2013

Celebrating Red


Take52 Challenge – Week 7

Throughout the week surely ever where you looked you saw RED.  How couldn’t you, it was Valentine’s.  I’m not a strong believer in celebrating Valentine’s, in my mind it’s about spending more money to show someone you love them.  Hopefully you do not need to show the amount of love you have for someone by spending large sums of money.  And hopefully you are not showing them you love them only on one day of the year.  But I digress.

This week my family celebrated the Chinese Lunar New Year.  We actually celebrate it every year, no we are not Chinese, but it was a tradition that started a few years back to celebrate the year of the Ox.  At least I think that’s when we started it.  At any rate, we have continued celebrating the Chinese New Year each year to celebrate the family member(s) whose year it is.  This year being the year of the snake we were celebrating LD, and C’s dad.

In my family I’m known for my baking and desserts.  Needless to say I was put in charge of the desserts for our dinner.  There were some traditional Almond Cookies, some Peanut Candies, some Coconut Balls, and of course Fortune Cookies.  Granted, I had the best intensions in the world to make the almond cookies from scratch, but I didn’t.  So I did the next best thing; I made my way down to Chinatown to shop for some goodies and take some photographs.  I was hoping that it would’ve been a more festive atmosphere, it actually being February 10th, the start of the New Year, but it wasn’t.  All the festivities were taking place the following weekend.

Nonetheless, it was a gorgeous day for a walk in the sun.  And it’s always fun to take a look in all the little shops along the way.  In each of the shops I went to, I was greeted with “Gung Hay Fat Choy.”  And if I purchased something from the store, I was given a red New Year’s envelope. 

The first envelope I opened when I returned home contained a Fortune Cookie.  And this is where I drew my inspiration from for this week’s challenge.  I told the envelope that and placed my freshly broken fortune cookie next to it.  I purposefully left the fortune where you were unable to read it.  I believe that it might not be so lucky then.  And it was a great fortune.  One of the best I’ve ever received.



Aperture Priority; ISO 1600; Shutter 1/60; Aperture f4.2; Focal Length 48mm; ev +0.7; WB - Custom


As I mentioned throughout my walk in Chinatown there was red surrounding me everywhere I turned.  The red of the lampposts contrasted with the crisp blue skies caught my eye all afternoon.  I simply had to take a photograph of it.  Once again the ISO escaped me while I was out walking.  It’s something I’m committing to focus on with each photograph I take.  I’m loving the contrast that I was able to get with the high ISO, and the fact that there is little to no noise that appears (at least that I notice, or is that don’t notice?).



Shutter Priority; ISO 3200; Shutter 1/3200; Aperture f22; Focal Length 35mm; ev -2.0; WB – Daylight

It was a great long weekend, with celebrating the Chinese Lunar New Year and our first ever Family Day here in BC.  It provided my family a chance to get together to celebrate the New Year on the New Year, unlike other years when we’ve had to postpone celebrations waiting for a weekend.


As always I welcome any thoughtful critiques.

No comments:

Post a Comment